Sunday, June 19, 2011

More of the sweet, less of the fit

* This post was meant to be published on Sunday, but I had a computer glitch, please pardon the delay*





Happy Father's day to all the great dads out there. I'm so grateful everyday for the wonderful father I was blessed with. I worked on finishing the cake for most of the day, but still managed to get to church and sushi dinner and a movie with my daddy to celebrate.


I'm so excited, after wanting one forever I finally bought myself a new cake turntable. I had a sweet 50% off coupon at Michael's, so I couldn't help myself. Turntables make icing cakes so much easier, it's ridiculous.







The cake turned out pretty well. Linda, the woman who ordered the cake, didn't want a fondant cover for the cake, which is what I'm used to. Working with all buttercream was a challenge for me. It's so difficult to get it completely smooth all the way around. As you can see here
, So frustrating


I opted to airbrush some color on the cake and added in some fondant clouds ( I couldn't resist getting some fondant in somewhere) as well as the top of the cake. The airbrush color helped to hide some of the imperfections in the buttercream. I swirled blue and white fondant for the sky on the top of the cake and cut the airplane out of gumpaste. I wasn't totally happy with the finished product, but I did what I could with what she wanted. That said, Linda loved the cake so that's all that matters.






Between working on the cake and going out with my dad my day definitely consisted of more "sweet" activities than "fit ones" , I didn't have a chance to squeeze in a workout. I was due for a rest day anyway, so I'll try not to feel guilty and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment